It’s National Truck Driver’s Appreciation Week and we’d like to take this time to celebrate our dedicated drivers. No one is more deserving of honor than America’s truck drivers. Truckers carry out with skill and commitment what is consistently named “One of the Most Dangerous Jobs” in the country. Our own drivers are showing their amazing dedication right now during this peak shipping season as volumes of freight have risen and customers are requesting it at the break of dawn. Thank you, highway heroes!
Here are some interesting facts about trucking:
- There are about 3.5 million truckers in the country, including 200,000 female long haul truckers
- If you stacked the number of trucks in the United States (15.5 million) from end to end, it would reach the moon!
- 72% of freight is hauled by trucks in the United States
- Trucks need the approximate length of a football field to come to a full stop from 65mph.
- A semi-truck with a full trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds.
- 90% of the trucking industry is comprised of small businesses with less than 10 trucks.
- If you’d like watch some highway heroes on the big screen, check out Duel (1971), Smokey the Bandit (1977), Breaker! Breaker! (1977), Convoy (1978), and Black Dog (1998)
Stay tuned for more as we profile our very own AGWorld truckers in our “Man Behind the Wheel” series. As far as we’re concerned, every week is National Truck Driver Appreciation Week.